Re: GUC names in messages

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: GUC names in messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11.12.23 00:07, Peter Smith wrote:
> If the rule is changed to quote those MixedCase GUCs then the docs
> will require minor tweaking
>
> CURRENT
>     <para>
>      In messages containing configuration variable names, do not include quotes
>      when the names are visibly not natural English words, such as when they
>      have underscores, are all-uppercase or have mixed case. Otherwise, quotes
>      must be added. Do include quotes in a message where an arbitrary variable
>      name is to be expanded.
>     </para>
>
> "are all-uppercase or have mixed case." --> "or are all-uppercase."

After these discussions, I think this rule change was not a good idea.
It effectively enforces these kinds of inconsistencies.  For example, if
you ever refactored

     "DateStyle is wrong"

     "%s is wrong"

you'd need to adjust the quotes, and thus user-visible behavior, for
entirely internal reasons.  This is not good.  And then came the idea to
determine the quoting dynamically, which I think everyone agreed was too
much.  So I don't see a way to make this work well.

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Simplify newNode()
От: Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Сообщение: Re: Add code indentation check to cirrus-ci (was Re: Add BF member koel-like indentation checks to SanityCheck CI)