Re: Resources - Regular Expressions

От Gurudutt
Тема Re: Resources - Regular Expressions
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi!!

Thanks a lot for all the advices, I knew i could always get help from
the lists. Had festival so couldn't reply earlier and we were closed.

I have parallel question, I read about regular expressions being
faster than the 'like', is it correct and one more thing how do u
extract information from a given regular expression

eg: like in perl anything inside the () can be extracted into a
variable

like...

# Program Segment Starts here

$disksize = $1 if (/Storage Swap size:\s+([-0-9\.]+)\s+MB/);

# Program segment ends here

as u can see the '$1' has the value of the expression thats got evaluated.

Now my question is when i use the same in a SQL statement all I can
get is just a boolean value whether it evaluates to true or false ,
nothing more than that.

I would like to extract the value from the evaluated regular
expression in a SQL query

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance...

Best regards,Gurudutt                            mailto:guru@indvalley.com