sequence

От Alain Roger
Тема sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm still trying to understand how the sequences work under PostgreSQL.

for example i have a sequence called : users_user_id_seq
with :
current value = 1
min value = 1
max value = 9223372036854775807
start = 1
a typical "serial" field.

to perform an autoincrement in my SQL queries...specially while i use insert into i do the following thing :

INSERT INTO mytable VALUES
(
 select nextval('users_user_id_seq'),
);

however this get the currentvalue + 1, or during creating the sequence i must say that start = 0.

how can i get the current value (to use it into my "insert into statement") and by the same time,. increment it by 1, to be ready for the next time ?

--
Alain

От: "Greg Steffensen"
Сообщение: Re: function permissions question
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: sequence