Re: Hijack!

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: Hijack!
Дата
Re: Hijack!  (Geoffrey <lists@serioustechnology.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Dec 11, 2007, at 8:43 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:31:40 +0000
> "Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
>
>> // >>>>
>> Please note in particular the following points of netiquette:
>>
>> * Don't top-post, as it makes for confusing reading.
>>
>> * Don't start a new thread by replying to an old one, because [insert
>> suitable technical explanation here].
>>
>> Failure to observe the above may result in your question going
>> unanswered. // <<<<<
>

> O.k. this might be a bit snooty but frankly it is almost 2008. If you
> are still a top poster, you obviously don't care about the people's
> content that you are replying to, to have enough wits to not top post.
>
> However, I would also note that in "windows" world, it is very common
> to top post. I am constantly retraining very smart, just very ignorant
> customers.

In the business world it's common to top-post and not cut previous
content
- and often appropriate, as it tends to be a communication between a
smaller number of people, and the uncut content provides context for
future reference.

Those who rant about anyone who top posts, or state that you should
never top-post are mostly clueless or arrogant, or are making over-broad
generalizations.

That's an entirely different thing to observing that while on the
broader internet
you should follow local etiquette, and that here (as on most technical
lists that have
a fair number of posters with an, uh, old-school background) part of
that is the points listed above.
(And I'd probably add "and trim your response appropriately - removing
stuff not needed for context, but leaving enough to have enough
context").

Cheers,
   Steve

От: Thomas Hart
Сообщение: Re: top posting
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: top posting (was: Hijack!)