Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Mar 20, 2020, at 5:29 PM, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:
>

>> OP  has said small gaps are ok.
>
> Yes. This wasn't a response to the OP's requirements, but to David's
> (rather knee-jerk, IMHO) "don't use sequences" response. Very often the
> requirements which would preclude sequences also preclude any other
> solution.
>
> (In the case of the OP's problem, I'd agree that sequences are probably
> a bad idea for the reasons he anticipates)
>
>> To me that says the requirement
>
> Which requirement? The OP's or the one I posed here?
>
>> is capricious but we haven’t heard the rationale for the requirement
>> yet (or I missed it)
>
> The OP gave a rationale: He has to fit the counter into an 8-digit
> field, and a global counter would overflow that. So he needs per-element
> counters.
>
>        hp

Isn’t that the implementation of a req along the lines of “we want to number the occurrences of these pairs because
...”?

От: "Peter J. Holzer"
Сообщение: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)