Re: Separate connection handling from backends

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Separate connection handling from backends
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/6/16 6:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm kind of mystified how a simple code restructuring could solve the
>> fundamental problems with a large number of backends. It sounds like
>> what you're describing would just push the problem around, you would
>> end up with some other maximum instead, max_backends, or
>> max_active_backends, or something like that with the same problems.
> What it sounds like to me is building a connection pooler into the
> backend.  I'm not really convinced we ought to go there.

The way I'm picturing it backends would no longer be directly tied to
connections. The code that directly handles connections would grab an
available backend when a statement actually came in (and certainly it'd
need to worry about transactions and session GUCs).

So in a way it's like a pooler, except it'd be able to do things that
poolers simply can't (like safely switch the user the backend is using).

I think there might be other uses as well, since there's several other
places where we need something that's kind-of like a backend, but if
Heikki's work radically shifts the expense of running many thousands of
backends then it's probably not worth doing.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)

От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: Separate connection handling from backends
От: Ashutosh Bapat
Сообщение: Re: Push down more full joins in postgres_fdw