Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1"

От Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA
Тема Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1"
Дата
Re: Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1"  (Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
Список pgadmin-support
I sent message with this title once and got nothing indicating it was received.  I have, however, gotten exchanges
dealingwith other rather arcane problems.  At a minimum, could I get some acknowledgment that my message has been
received?

I'll provide a brief recap:
I'm trying to port two PostgreSQL databases to Windows XP.  Once I do that, I will run those through a tool in the
Windowsmachine that will convert them to Access.  Someone else managed this but is on extended medical leave, leaving
sketchydirections behind that no one here has been able to decipher.  Note: none of this is part of my job description
-I'm filling in because no one else seems to know anything about how to do this.  I'll focus on only ONE database,
sincethe process is the same for both.

In brief.  Do
pg_dump -s dfile-pgs -f dsYYYYMMDD
pg_dump -s dfile-pgs -f dALLYYYYMMDD

The above worked (for me)  Take these files and move to Windows XP.  That's now done.
Now edit the files as follows:  comment out "\connect" and all of the "GRANT INSERT" commands.  Save the result as
*.sql
Edit all the files containing tables and data.  Remove the "CREATE TABLE" commands so just the "INSERT" commands are
left. Save again.  (NOTE: this applied to both files - both had "create table" commands.)

I did all of the above, apparently successfully.

This is just a recipe - none of it makes sense to me.  However, these steps were followed by the person now on extended
medicalleave to provide input to the pgAdmin program.  The next set of instructions involve pgAdmin:

Select SQL from the toolbar and open file, selecting the "s" file (supposedly the schema file).  This is supposed to
makethe tables.  I don't know how this can happen if all of the "CREATE TABLES" have been edited out, but that's what
thedirections say.  Supposedly one is to run "pgsql" file option.  It doesn't exist anywhere.  There is an option to
runa macro, which I selected and it seemed to run.  However, nothing was created.  There was nothing I could see
anywhereand nothing to save.  The next step is to load the files that have the "insert" commands in them.  I assume
thiswould be the ALL files.

I never saw any "insert table" commands.  There were other insert commands but it wasn't clear what they did, and the
filesseemed awfully small to produce the databases.  Needless to say, none of this worked for me.

Here's all I want.  I want to move some hypothetical PostgreSQL database on Linux to Windows.  Surely someone on this
listhas had to do that.  I don't work with databases - I just need a simple cookbook/recipe.  Once I have a procedure,
I'llbe turning it over to other people.

Help please.

Thanks,

Paul Hager

Computer Scientist
Code WXMP, Bldg 3330W
300 Highway 361
Crane, IN 47522-5001
Ph:    812-854-1985
DSN:   482-1985
Fax:   812-854-1109
Email: paul.hager@navy.mil
SIPR:  paul.hager@navy.smil.mil
http://www.navsea.navy.mil/nswc/crane/Lists/customerfeedback/NewForm.aspx

От: arthur.tomica@tomicasoft.de
Сообщение: PgAdmin Guru Hints on Windows blank
От: Chris Campbell
Сообщение: Re: Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1"