Re: Question about UNIX socket connections and SSL

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Question about UNIX socket connections and SSL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On 12 Jun 2024, at 21:17, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Casey & Gina <cg@osss.net> writes:
>> So why can't I use SSL when connecting from a client to a UNIX socket?
>
> (1) It'd add overhead without adding any security.  Data going through
> a UNIX socket will only pass through the local kernel, and if that's
> compromised then it's game over anyway.
>
> (2) I'm less sure about this part, but I seem to recall that openssl
> doesn't actually work if given a UNIX socket.

That indeed used to be the case, at least until 1.0.2 and possibly 1.1.1, but
AF_UNIX is supported in 3+ IIRC. That being said, I agree with your (1).

--
Daniel Gustafsson

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Question about UNIX socket connections and SSL
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: PG16.1 security breach?