Re: Looking for a doc section that presents the overload selection rules

От Bryn Llewellyn
Тема Re: Looking for a doc section that presents the overload selection rules
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:
>
> Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> writes:
>> There could, so easily, have been three “to_char()” overloads for these
>> three data types that honored the spirit of the “::text” typecast by
>> rendering only what’s meaningful, despite what the template asks for.
>
> You can, of course, trivially make that so in your own database.
>
> =# create function to_char(date, text) returns text
> language sql stable strict parallel safe
> as 'select pg_catalog.to_char($1::timestamp without time zone, $2)';
>
> =# select to_char(current_date, 'dd-Mon-yyyy TZH:TZM');
>      to_char
> --------------------
> 22-Oct-2021 +00:00
> (1 row)
>
> Regardless of whether the original choice not to have this variant
> was intentional or an oversight, I'd be pretty loath to change it now
> because of backwards compatibility.  But Postgres is adaptable.

Thanks, Tom. I’d also reached that same conclusion. But I won’t do that. Rather, I’ll advise myself and anyone who asks
meto do what I just wrote in reply to David Johnston.

От: Bryn Llewellyn
Сообщение: Re: Looking for a doc section that presents the overload selection rules
От: "Peter J. Holzer"
Сообщение: Re: Looking for a doc section that presents the overload selection rules