Re: Using GUIDs

От Paul S
Тема Re: Using GUIDs
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I have implemented GUID's in an application that needed them.  We needed globally unique PK's and although Postgres did not offer them as a datatype, we used C# to perform that function.  The Postgres database attribute ended up being a varchar(39).  Not as performant as having Postgres natively do it but it works. :)  The good thing is that the GUID is calculated before the insert into the database so it's actually using the middle tier's resources to compute it. (ok, it's a small amount but it's nice that the DB didn't have to pay that price)

Paul

On 6/27/06, Jim Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
On Jun 26, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Dennis Wagner wrote:
> I'm currently thinking about using GUIDs as primary keys.

Look on pgFoundry.org; I'm pretty sure there's some kind of UUID type
there.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
Pervasive Software       http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117

От: "Lane Van Ingen"
Сообщение: Re: Performance Slowly Decreasing As Database Grows
От: "Paul S"
Сообщение: Re: Using PostgreSQL and MIcrosoft SQLServer on the same server