Re: Any equivalent of MSSQL Detach?

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Any equivalent of MSSQL Detach?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname@lastnameplusfam.net> writes:

> I am wondering if it is possible to pick up a database from one computer and
> move it over to another and then just plug it back in.

No, unless you do the whole database cluster, and the two machines are
the same architecture and have the same version of PG, compiled the
same way.  Basically there are a lot of interdependencies between
different parts of the database cluster, so you can't just grab a
single database and copy it over.

pg_dump is the way to go...

P.S. I'm replying to the list only because I can't be bothered to
demangle your address.  If you don't get the reply, tough toenails.

-Doug

От: "Jerry III"
Сообщение: Re: How to handle larger databases?
От: "P. George"
Сообщение: timestamp with time zone question...