Re: Case Preservation disregarding case sensitivity?

От Richard Broersma Jr
Тема Re: Case Preservation disregarding case sensitivity?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
> Again, I am looking for a way (magic, patches, whiskey, etc) that will give me
> case-preservation with EITHER case-sensitivity OR case-insensitivity, but not
> both as I am seeing.
>
> Thanks in advance. I am hoping to find a solution to this so I can actually
> convert one of our databases to use Postgres. And I can say that little
> issues like this are precisely why Postgres was never used in this
> organization before, even though several of the other database developers
> like the features, stability and performance of Postgres.

Here is an explination from the postgresql manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

Quoting an identifier also makes it case-sensitive, whereas unquoted names are always folded to
lower case. For example, the identifiers FOO, foo, and "foo" are considered the same by
PostgreSQL, but "Foo" and "FOO" are different from these three and each other. (The folding of
unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL is incompatible with the SQL standard, which says that
unquoted names should be folded to upper case. Thus, foo should be equivalent to "FOO" not "foo"
according to the standard. If you want to write portable applications you are advised to always
quote a particular name or never quote it.)

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Richard Broersma Jr
Сообщение: Re: Case Preservation disregarding case sensitivity?
От: "Jon Horsman"
Сообщение: Re: How to query information schema from shell script