Re: how long to wait on 9.2 bitrock installer?

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: how long to wait on 9.2 bitrock installer?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of John R Pierce
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:00 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] how long to wait on 9.2 bitrock installer?

On 09/12/12 10:42 PM, Dann Corbit wrote:

> I just let it sit.  3.5 hours later, it completed.

> I have several versions of PostgreSQL already installed on this
> machine.  We need to test compatibility with PostgreSQL database
> systems with our products.
>
> I tried to install 9.2 64 bit using the one click installer from this
> location:
>
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do#windows
>
> I did use an unused port of 5439 as 5432-5438 are already in use by
> other instances of PostgreSQL.

are those other instances running?  if they have significant shared memory allocations, your 12GB of ram could be
significantlyblocked up, so the new install may have ended up doing a lot of paging.

I had 2 gigs free RAM when the install started.
<<
also, your configuration file says this system has a single 1TB drive?
thats a weak storage configuration for a database server, especially if its a 7200rpm or less SATA drive.

It's a raid array.   The system diagnostic software is not perfect.
I'm a developer.  The only database activity on this particular machine is testing for correctness.
<<

От: "Kevin Grittner"
Сообщение: Re: Compressed binary field
От: Rob Richardson
Сообщение: Re: What is the state of the art for using LINQ with PostgreSQL?