Re: COPY enhancements

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: COPY enhancements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Emmanuel Cecchet <manu@frogthinker.org> writes:
> Tom was also suggesting 'refactoring COPY into a series of steps that the
> user can control'. What would these steps be? Would that be per row and
> allow to discard a bad tuple?

The idea is to have COPY usable from a general SELECT query so that the
user control what happens. Think of an SRF returning bytea[] or some
variation on the theme.

Maybe WITH to the rescue:
 WITH csv AS (   -- no error here as the destination table is in memory tuple store,   -- assuming we have adunstan
patchto ignore rows with too few or   -- too many columns   COPY csv(a, b, c, d) FROM STDIN WITH CSV HEADER --- and
saidoptions ) INSERT INTO destination      SELECT a, b, f(a + b - d), strange_timestamp_reader(c)        FROM csv
WHEREvalidity_check_passes(a, b, c, d);

That offers complete control to the user about the stages that transform
the data. In a previous thread some ideas I forgot the details offered
to the users some more control, but I don't have the time right now to
search in the archives.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine