Re: Missed compiler optimization issue in function select_rtable_names_for_explain

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Missed compiler optimization issue in function select_rtable_names_for_explain
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On 22 May 2024, at 13:00, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> I think if we want to improve how this code is seen by the compiler by
> modifying it, we should just remove the NULL/NIL assignments.

*If* the optimization is measurable, IMHO.

> It's a
> pretty arbitrary (and rather small) subset of fields being initialized,
> fields which very obviously have been zeroed by memset already, so I
> don't see any value in the explicit assignments.

My personal opinion is that there is value in immediately knowing the type of
the members from the inits, in this case I know without looking up the
definition that some of the members are list.  I like that readability.  That
being said, I for sure won't fight if there is concensus to remove.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

От: Alban Hertroys
Сообщение: Re: Finding "most recent" using daterange
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: Missed compiler optimization issue in function select_rtable_names_for_explain