Re: vacuum taking an unusually long time

От Mason Hale
Тема Re: vacuum taking an unusually long time
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Mason Hale <masonhale@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's some of the strace output:

select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {0, 10000}) = 0 (Timeout)

If I read the 'select(2)' man page correctly, it appears this process is waiting indefinitely for a NULL file descriptor.
That looks pretty stuck to me.

No, it's just sleeping. For 10 milliseconds or so.

Ah, thanks.

Should I kill this autovacuum process via pg_cancel_backend?
Or is there a better way to "unstick" it?

Any ideas what may have caused it to get into this condition?

It looks like "read a page, sleep for 80 milliseconds, repeat".

I'd look at your settings for autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit / autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay, and maybe the contents of pg_autovacuum.

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 20ms

'select * from pg_autovacuum;' returns zero rows

I killed the one autovacuum process already that I thought was hung (via pg_cancel_backend).
I can see one other autovacuum process running. The other vacuum process was started manually.
Should I be concerned that pg_autovacuum is empty when I have an autovacuum process running?

Mason

Cheers,
 Steve

От: "Scott Marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: Which design would be faster ...
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: vacuum taking an unusually long time