Re: Scratching my head why results are different between machines.

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Scratching my head why results are different between machines.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

>>> It's way crazier than you'd ever expect. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit
>>> versions are called "odbcad32.exe" but are in different (but not
>>> distinctively named) locations.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976/en-us
>>
>> Wow. If I even had the slightest regret about my move to abandon
>> Windows years ago, this would have pretty much squashed it.
>> Magnus et. al., I don't know how you do it. :)
>
> That page has to be an abandoned april fools joke, right?  The 64 bit
> version is named odbcad32.exe?  That has to be a joke of some kind.

It's probably related to the fact that the platform API on both 32 and
64 bit platforms is known as win32 (with a more complete name of
'win32 for 64 bit Windows' on 64 bit).

My understanding is that this is because the naming originally came
from the transition from 16 to 32 bit which involved a much bigger API
change. The API on 64 bit is basically the same as on 32 bit, just
with the wider data types, thus it retains the name.

--
Dave Page
PG East Conference: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do

От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: The REAL cost of joins
От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Scratching my head why results are different between machines.