RE: [SQL] Trouble with null text fields

От Michael Davis
Тема RE: [SQL] Trouble with null text fields
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Try this:
DROP FUNCTION nz(text);
CREATE FUNCTION nz (text) RETURNS text AS '    BEGIN    if ($1 is NULL) then
return """;    else     return $1; end if;END; ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
SELECT (nz(field_one) || nz(field_two)) from t1;
This has worked for me.  It is a little slow. -----Original Message-----From:    Glenn Waldron
[SMTP:gwaldron@wareonearth.com]
<mailto:[SMTP:gwaldron@wareonearth.com]> Sent:    Tuesday, April 13, 1999 9:26 AMTo:    pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org
<mailto:pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org>Subject:    [SQL] Trouble with null text fields

Using Postgres 6.5 beta (snap 12 apr), on Linux i386.  I moved up
from
6.4.2 when I couldn't get things working.
I'm having difficulty dealing with null text/varchar fields.  I need to be
able to interpret null values as the null string " for the purposes on
concatenation.

1)    ----For example, the query:SELECT (field_one || field_two) from t1;
Will return the concatenation of the two fields.  If either of the
fields
is null, it is interpreted as the empty string " and the correct
answer
is printed.  But:SELECT * from t1 where ( field_one || field_two = 'something' )
This does NOT work is either field_one or field_two is null.  Same
result
with the textcat() function.

2)    ----Next I tried using "case", getting a parse error at or near "then":
SELECT ( case field_one when null then " else field_one end ) from t1;
This one gave me "ERROR: copyObject: don't know how to copy 704":
SELECT ( case field_one when 'string' then 'other' else 'third' end)
from t1;

3)    ---
I tried writing a function that takes a "text" type and returns "
is the
string
is null.  Never could successfully do a null test on a function
parameter.

4)    ----
I also tried writing my own concat function, and found that passing
null fields into a user function doesn't seem to work either.  So I
tried
passing the whole thing in as a TUPLE, since you can determine
whether a
field is null with the GetAttributeByName() call.
The creation:    CREATE FUNCTION mycat(text,text) returns text as
'/usr/.../file.so'
langauge 'sql';
This worked great, even with null values:SELECT mycat(field_one, field_two) from t1;
This crashed the backend, with a "Memory exhauted in AllocSetAlloc()" error:
SELECT * from t1 where mycat(field_one, field_two) = 'something';
So I tried making an index, and got:  "DefineIndex(): Attibute t1
not found"CREATE INDEX t1_ix on t1 ( mycat(t1) text_ops );

Any help is appreciated!! Sorry for the novel!!  -glenn

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Michael Davis
Сообщение: RE: [SQL] Trouble with null text fields
От: José Soares
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] Trouble with null text fields