RE: [SQL] SELECT TOP X -- part 2 -- parse error?

От Michael J Davis
Тема RE: [SQL] SELECT TOP X -- part 2 -- parse error?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I have successfully used limit 5.  You might try:SELECT * FROM table_name LIMIT 5;
rather than:SELECT * FROM database LIMIT 5;
-----Original Message-----From:    Justin Long [SMTP:justinlong@strategicnetwork.org]Sent:    Thursday, April 22, 1999
3:24PMTo:    pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.orgSubject:    RE: [SQL] SELECT TOP X -- part 2 -- parse error?

I did upgrade to Postgresql 6.5... and as far as I can tell the
install wassuccessful. As I noted it seems to be recognizing the LIMIT
command... justhitting a parse error at the '5' modifier.
Justin
> -----Original Message-----> From: owner-pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org> [mailto:owner-pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org]On Behalf Of
MichaelJ

Davis> Sent: Thursday, April 22, 1999 5:13 PM> To: 'justinlong@xc.org'; pgsql-sql@hub.org> Subject: RE: [SQL] SELECT
TOPX -- part 2 -- parse error?>>> The LIMIT clause is new for version 6.5.  You will need to upgrade

to take> advantage of "LIMIT".>>     -----Original Message----->     From:    Justin Long
[SMTP:justinlong@strategicnetwork.org]>    Sent:    Thursday, April 22, 1999 12:53 PM>     To:    pgsql-sql@hub.org>
Subject:    [SQL] SELECT TOP X -- part 2 -- parse error?>>     Thanks for the answers. I downloaded and installed
PG5...
now I have> a new>     problem. I can't seem to access any documentation on the
syntax of> the new>     additions to PG5, and I'm getting a parse error with the
following> command>>         SELECT * FROM database LIMIT 5>>     It says>>         parse error at or near "5">>
AlsoPSQL seems to still say 6.4.2 and have all the 6.4.2

functions>     described in its help files. Is this indicative of a bad
install?> Everything>     I saw appeared to indicate PG5 had installed properly and
this parse> error>     leads me to think it is trying to interpret the LIMIT
command but is> having>     problems with syntax.>>     Justin>>     -----Original Message----->     From:
owner-pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org>    [mailto:owner-pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org] On Behalf Of Justin

Long>     Sent: Thursday, April 22, 1999 10:33 AM>     To: pgsql-sql@hub.org>     Subject: [SQL] SELECT TOP _x_ ??>>>
 In Microsoft SQL Server you could issue a command>>         SELECT TOP 5 * FROM database...>>>     The top 5 indicator
wouldmean to take the top 5 records

that> matched the>     criteria. I can't seem to find any way to do this in
PostgreSQL. I> have a>     database of 385 records (which will grow rapidly over the
next few> months)>     and it takes better than 5 seconds to SELECT from the 385
and then> use a>     while loop to display the top 4. I can't imagine what it
will be> like when>     we reach, say, 10,000 records! So any suggestions for
selecting just> the top>     5 and speeding the process up a bit?>>     Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Respondhere or

to>     JustinLong@strategicnetwork.org ...>>>     Never retreat. Never surrender. Never cut a deal with a
dragon.>
 616 Station Square Ct         Network for Strategic Missions>     Chesapeake, VA 23320          977 Centerville Trnpk
CSB317>     JustinLong@xc.org             Va Beach, VA 23463>     Check out our site at:

http://www.strategicnetwork.org>>>>>

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: "G. Anthony Reina"
Сообщение: Changing the editor for the \e option
От: "Brett W. McCoy"
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] Changing the editor for the \e option