Experience with many schemas vs many databases

От undisclosed user
Тема Experience with many schemas vs many databases
Дата
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@gmail.com>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (Johan Nel <johan.nel@xsinet.co.za>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (undisclosed user <lovetodrinkpepsi@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello everyone,

I have hit a wall on completing a solution I am working on. Originally, the app used a db per user (on MyIsam)....the solution did not fair so well in reliability and performance. I have been increasingly interested in Postgres lately.

Currently, I have about 30-35k users/databases. The general table layout is the same....only the data is different. I don't need to share data across databases. Very similar to a multi-tenant design.

Here are a few questions I have:

1. Could postgres support this many DBs? Are there any weird things that happen when the postgres is used this way?
2. Is the schema method better? Performance, maintainability, backups, vacuum? Weird issues?

Any incite is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Frank

От: Andreas Kretschmer
Сообщение: Re: re-using RETURNING
От: John R Pierce
Сообщение: Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases