Re: Incremental backup

От Ron
Тема Re: Incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/28/21 1:00 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 10/28/21 10:51, Ron wrote:

Except we have no way of knowing what the situation is. I prefer not to assume a context.

You make it sound like incremental (and differential) backups are some complicated thing that needs context.  That's utter and complete rubbish in every Enterprise RDBMS except Postgresql.

This is Postgres so we do need context.

Also you have not defined what you consider incremental backup? I for one would put this:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/continuous-archiving.html

I define Incremental and Differential backups the way everyone else does:

Incremental Backup: capture all changed data since the last incremental backup.  (Not the same as WAL archiving.)
Differential Backup: capture all changed data since the last full backup.
Transaction Backup: capture all transactions in a log file.

forward as a candidate.

Something like "BACKUP DATABASE (DIFFERENTIAL) foo TO foo.bak;" should be a fundamental feature of every RDBMS that claims to be enterprise class.

Knock your self out:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ

Not doable in Postgresql because WAL files are global to cluster.  I've read multiple times that will not be changed.

PgBackRest does full and incremental backups, plus captures WAL files, but globally to a cluster.