Doc update for pg_stat_statements normalization

От Imseih (AWS), Sami
Тема Doc update for pg_stat_statements normalization
Дата
Re: Doc update for pg_stat_statements normalization  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Replacing constants in pg_stat_statements is on a best effort basis.

It is not unlikely that on a busy workload with heavy entry deallocation,

the user may observe the query with the constants in pg_stat_statements.

From what I can see, this is because the only time an entry is normalized is

during post_parse_analyze, and the entry may be deallocated by the time query

execution ends. At that point, the original form ( with constants ) of the query

is used.

It is not clear how prevalent this is in real-world workloads, but it's easily reproducible

on a workload with high entry deallocation. Attached are the repro steps on the latest

branch.

I think the only thing to do here is to call this out in docs with a suggestion to increase

pg_stat_statements.max to reduce the likelihood. I also attached the suggested

doc enhancement as well.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

--

Sami Imseih

Amazon Web Services

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: Marking options deprecated in help output
От: Corey Huinker
Сообщение: Re: Disable vacuuming to provide data history