Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type:

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type:
Дата
Ответ на Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type:  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Ответы Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type:  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 10/08/2015 11:32 PM, Victor Blomqvist wrote:
>> I have a heavily used PostgreSQL 9.3.5 database on CentOS 6. Sometimes I
>> need to add/remove columns, preferably without any service
>> interruptions, but I get temporary errors.
>>
>> I follow the safe operations list from
>> https://www.braintreepayments.com/blog/safe-operations-for-high-volume-postgresql
>> but many operations cause troubles anyway when the more busy tables are
>> updated.
>>
>> Typically I have user defined functions for all operations, and my table
>> and functions follow this pattern:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE users (
>>    id integer PRIMARY KEY,
>>    name varchar NOT NULL,
>>    to_be_removed integer NOT NULL
>> );
>>
>> CREATE FUNCTION select_users(id_ integer) RETURNS SETOF users AS
>> $$
>> BEGIN
>>    RETURN QUERY SELECT * FROM users WHERE id = id_;
>> END;
>> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>>
>> Then the actual queries are run by our application as
>>
>> SELECT id, name FROM select_users(18);
>>
>> As you can see the column to_be_removed is not selected. Then to remove
>> the column I use:
>>
>> ALTER TABLE users DROP COLUMN to_be_removed;
>>
>> However, while the system is under load sometimes (more frequently and
>> persistent the more load the system is experiencing) I get errors like
>> these:
>>
>>      ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result
>> type: Number of returned columns (2) does not match expected column
>> count (3).
>>
>> The same error can happen when columns are added. Can this be avoided
>> somehow, or do I need to take the system offline during these kind of
>> changes?
>
> For the reason why this is happening see:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/plpgsql-implementation.html#PLPGSQL-PLAN-CACHING

Yes, but the ALTER TABLE causes the plan to be recreated the next time.

There must be a race condition that causes other sessions to continue using
the old plan for a little while.  Don't know if that's as designed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type:
От: Adrian Klaver