Re: Confusing Linux download page

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Confusing Linux download page
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 14/06/2010 13:39, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> Nope, Brendan has a valid point. If they don't care on how to install
>>> their PostgreSQL software, even on their linux desktop, how could they
>>> install it on a server, make any upgrade, and so on? Moreover, if they
>>> aren't able to read one simple webpage, they also won't read the fine
>>> manual, meaning they will ask newbie questions, already anwsered in the
>>> book. Not sure we really want to help that kind of people.
>>
>> So what do you suggest we do - ignore them? Then we get a reputation
>> for being unhelpful.
>>

> The page written by Magnus seems good to me. It clearly states what I
> think: distro packages are recommended. And it lists all the options.
> Beginning with the one click installer is not an issue to me, as we
> first clearly stated that the recommended option is the distro packages,
> provided they are available.

Oh, I'm fine with that too. The people that *will* read will use the
right packages, or make a choice to use the one-clicks. The ones that
we don't want to have to hand-hold will fall to the 'should work
anywhere with minimal fuss' one-click option.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Guillaume Lelarge
Сообщение: Re: Confusing Linux download page
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Confusing Linux download page