Re: Which file does the SELECT?

От Vaibhav Kaushal
Тема Re: Which file does the SELECT?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The PostgreSQL documentation (9.0.1) has the following section in section 44.5.1:

 The planner preferentially considers joins between any two relations for which
there exist a corresponding join clause in the WHERE qualification (i.e., for which a restriction like
where rel1.attr1=rel2.attr2 exists). Join pairs with no join clause are considered only when
there is no other choice, that is, a particular relation has no available join clauses to any other relation.
All possible plans are generated for every join pair considered by the planner, and the one that is
(estimated to be) the cheapest is chosen.

Can someone tell me what are 'Join Pairs with no Join clause' ? I am not able to figure that out!

-Vaibhav (*_*)

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

So if I am not wrong, I will have to understand the whole querying process in detail? If it is so, then where do I start from?

-Vaibhav

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On sön, 2010-10-10 at 13:32 +0530, Vaibhav Kaushal wrote:
> I have gone through the source code a bit but I wanted to know that
> which file contains the code that performs the final SLECTION after
> the optimizer has created the final plan? I mean which part of the
> executor is responsible for the SELCT to be run?

That depends on what plan was chosen for the SELECT, since the executor
is primarily organized by plan node type, independent of which statement
caused the plan to be generated.

От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: levenshtein_less_equal (was: multibyte charater set in levenshtein function)
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Which file does the SELECT?