Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment

От Ravi Krishna
Тема Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> Plus PG does not directly support cross database queries using 3 part name, something
>> sqlserver excels at.

>Maybe because SQL server does not have real databases but schemas instead ?
>This sucks security wise.

SQLServer has real databases with its own transaction log files.  You can restore individual databases in a cluster.
They also have schemas which are not same as users (Oracle treats users and schemas same).

For security, there is grant connect to the DB and further filtering based on schema.

I find SQLServer implementation pretty strong in this.

The only time this can be a problem is when few databases failover in a mirrored environment (streaming replication in
PGspeak).

Then suddenly 3 part names would fail if the remote DB is no longer primary. My experience with SQLServer is badly
dated.Last

time I worked was SS2008.  I believe in later versions they solved this problem by the failover group concept which
failoversall

inter-related databases at one go.

BTW Mysql treats databases and schemas as same (that's what it was few years ago)

От: Achilleas Mantzios
Сообщение: Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment
От: Achilleas Mantzios
Сообщение: Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment