Re: What is the best setup for distributed and fault-tolerant PG database?

От Bryn Llewellyn
Тема Re: What is the best setup for distributed and fault-tolerant PG database?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>>> age.apache@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> I am new to postgres, and I am also not a DBA. I am a solo developer who is trying to evaluate what database to use
formy hybrid multi-tenancy sub-apps i.e. users of the application will be authorised to use part or whole of the
applicationbased on their authorisation levels. This delineation of user access has to also be supported by the
database,if possible. Also, for audit purposes the data is append only. And the design is based on just two
tables(verticesand edges) to emulate a document-oriented(jsonb) graph structure.

>>> Postgres is the database I am leaning towards for this project. But as I am not a DBA and also a solo developer, I
amtrying to understand how I can spend less time managing the DB and more time developing the application. I would like
tohave a distributed and fault-tolerant DB setup with multiple read and write nodes with little to no configuration on
mypart, if possible. I am looking for a self-hosted open source solution.

>>> Is this possible with PG? What is the best way to achieve this for a non-DBA solo developer like me?
>>
>> robjsargent@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> None of the experts chimed in so I ante up my $0.02. It won't be possible unless you become a serious DBA _and_ solo
(fullstack) developer.  Or you pay for db support.

> saul.perdomo@gmail.com wrote:
>
> What Rob said... plus, I would urge you to give some more thought to "for audit purposes the data is append only". If
yourapplication is ever successful, non-insignificant storage costs are something you'll need to deal with sooner or
later.

> Anyway, what you ask is certainly achievable, but not without sustained effort. IMO your options are: spend the time
tolearn on your own with much reading + trial and error; pay somebody to set it up for you; or, cross the
high-availabilitybridge after you've got something of substance developed, app-wise, on a single local DB.

There’s always Internet search. Mention as many key phrases as you see fit. For example:

> Fully managed cloud service for highly available, fault tolerant, Postgres-compatible distributed SQL database

Look at my email address. That outfit is among the hits. So full disclosure is done. But, as they say, “other services
areavailable”. So I don’t think that my suggested search string is inappropriate for a list like this.

От: Saul Perdomo
Сообщение: Re: What is the best setup for distributed and fault-tolerant PG database?
От: Brad White
Сообщение: Re: REINDEX vs VACUUM