Re: Postmaster processes taking all the CPU

От MC Moisei
Тема Re: Postmaster processes taking all the CPU
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I promised that I will get back to the group with the reason. Well, of course was a query :). I do use a search engine file system based(lucene) that will take any desired entity saved into the database and find the primary keys and then do a

select * from entity where id is in (:ids)

If I get too many matches(3000-4000)... that will delay my postmaster and that postmaster associated with the query would take 10-15 minutes to process that query. So, now I limit that to 500, anything bigger than that will ask user to refine the query.

However this whole investigation made me observe some things. On my server box 7.4.7 I have some queries that are executing pretty slow 1.2-1.5secs it's a lot for a query that goes thru 5000 records. On my local environment 8.1 the same queries on similar table size executes much faster like 200-400ms. Do you know if this is a known issue or my dev box is better than my server box? I do have indexes on those fields I have criteria and order by on, I did run the reindex and I did a full vacuum. Anything else I need to do or I just need to go ahead an do an upgrade to 8.2 ?

Another thing I try to figure it out is the postgresql.conf setting. I wanted only to log the statements that are taking more than 500ms, I enabled that in my conf file but that alone won't track the statements. It looks I need pt make log_statement=true but that will track all the statements. Is there anything I miss here ?

Please let me know what you think.
MC

Ps.
I heard people complaining about my posting format. I use the hotmail web interface and the way they send the message is beyond my control ;-|

От: Francisco Reyes
Сообщение: Re: pg_restore out of memory
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Another conversion from ASA to PostGres how to