Re: Design question: Scalability and tens of thousands of tables?

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Design question: Scalability and tens of thousands of tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:58 , zackchandler wrote:

> The problem is I am very concerned about scalability with having a
> different
> table created for each custom object.  I want to design to site to
> handle
> tens of thousands of users.  If each user has 3-5 custom objects the
> database would have to handle tens of thousands of tables.
>
> So it would appear that this is a broken solution and will not
> scale.  Has
> anyone designed a similar system or have ideas to share?

One resource you may want to look at is Joe Conway's site:
http://www.joeconway.com/

He has a PDF available for download that may help you accomplish this:
OSCON 2004 presentation: Flexible Data Acquisition and Analysis

Joe's an active member of the PostgreSQL community and there's a lot
of good stuff there.

Hope this helps.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com