Re: Tripping over (my own) stupidity - VARCHAR declaration minus specificity

От Good, Thomas
Тема Re: Tripping over (my own) stupidity - VARCHAR declaration minus specificity
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Thanks guys - yes Adam it seems to behave exactly like text, at least in my experience.
From: Adam Cornett [adam.cornett@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 2:24 PM
To: ktm@rice.edu
Cc: Good, Thomas; pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Tripping over (my own) stupidity - VARCHAR declaration minus specificity

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM, ktm@rice.edu<mailto:ktm@rice.edu> <ktm@rice.edu<mailto:ktm@rice.edu>> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 01:51:04PM -0400, Adam Cornett wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Good, Thomas <TGood@svwsjmc.org<mailto:TGood@svwsjmc.org>> wrote:
>
> > I created a table in a hurry and forgot to specify the max capacity for a
> > varchar() data type.
> > Can it be said what the max would be in a case like this (just curious)?
> >
> > thanks much
> >

> According to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-character.html,
> "If character varying is used without length specifier, the type accepts
> strings of any size. The latter is a PostgreSQL extension."
>
> -Adam Cornett

And according to the documentation, the maximum size of a varchar is
1GB.

Regards,
Ken

Yes, 1GB is the limit for any column size.  From what I can tell a varchar without a size specified acts just like
text.

-Adam

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entityto who they are addressed. This communication may contain protected health information and/or material protected
bythe attorney-client privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
e-mailto the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination,forwarding, printing, or copying for this e-mail is strictly prohibited. if you have received this e-mail
inerror, please delete the message and attachments and notify the sender immediately.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Adam Cornett
Сообщение: Re: Tripping over (my own) stupidity - VARCHAR declaration minus specificity
От: James Bond
Сообщение: postgres sql help