Re: allow frontend use of the backend's core hashing functions

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: allow frontend use of the backend's core hashing functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Feb 14, 2020, at 8:29 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 08:16:47AM -0800, Mark Dilger wrote:

>>> One question. It might be possible to make these functions faster
>>> using compiler intrinsics. Would those still be available to front-end
>>> code?
>>
>> Do you have a specific proposal that would preserve on-disk compatibility?
>
> I hadn't planned on changing the representation, just cutting
> instructions out of the calculation of same.

Ok, I misunderstood.

I thought the question was about using compiler intrinsics to implement an alltogether different hashing algorithm than
theone currently in use and whether exposing the hash function to frontend code would lock down the algorithm in a way
thatwould make it harder to change in the future.  That lead me to the question of whether we had sufficient
flexibilityto entertain changing the hashing algorithm anyway.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: David Fetter
Сообщение: Re: allow frontend use of the backend's core hashing functions
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweightlock manager