Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation

От Pavan Kumar
Тема Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation
Дата
Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation  (Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hello Ron,

I am  not Windows DBA.   I have very good experience on Linux and working on postgres.
I installed postgres in both way's rpm based and source code installation.
I prefer source code for below reason
       I will have control on postgres software location
       few parameter I can modify with source code installation (like wal-segsize).
       I can install same version  postgres on multiple times as per our need.

I want to hear experts thoughts on this .

kindly advise

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 3:09 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6/4/19 3:00 PM, Pavan Kumar wrote:
> Hello Experts,
>
> I have couple of questions on postgres installation.
>
> 1. which way of installation is better ? source code or rpm based ?
> 2. for instance , If we need to install same version postgres on multiple
> times on same server. how do we need to handle this with rpm ?
> 3. If I go with source code installation, in case we need to upgrade OS(6
> to 7) , do we need to recompile existing postgres binaries ?

Are you a Windows DBA with no Linux or Postgres experience?  (I ask that so
that we know "where you are" in regards to installing software on Linux.)

Regards,

#!  Pavan Kumar
-
Sr. Database Administrator..!

NEXT GENERATION PROFESSIONALS, LLC
Cell    #  267-799-3182 #  pavan.dba27 (Gtalk)
India   # 9000459083

Take Risks; if you win, you will be very happy. If you lose you will be Wise

От: Ron
Сообщение: Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation