Re: Download navigation UX

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Download navigation UX
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 4:55 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:54 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 7/7/20 11:53 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 2:15 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org
> <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/7/20 6:02 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>     > Here's an updated patch (based on Jonathan's update) which
>     combines the
>     > inline handler patch and removes the inline handlers from the main
>     patch.
>
>     Looking good. One comment:
>
>     Given there's nothing dynamic about serving the new apt.js /
>     download.js, we don't need to serve those dynamically from the Django
>     app. We can just plop them into "/media/js", e.g.
>     "/media/js/download.js" and then this becomes:
>
>     <script type="text/javascript"
>     src="/media/js/download.js?{{gitrev}}"></script>
>

> Thanks - committed with that change.

Awesome, thanks!

I still stand by my review comment that it shouldn't be multiple JS files for such trivial things.

Hmm, for some reason this and a number of your other messages went into spam. I wonder what Google is trying to tell me?

They're in separate files because they are setting up event handlers specific to each page. I don't know of a way to do that with a shared file without jumping through some likely hacky and fragile hoops to allow the code to figure out what page it's been called from - i.e. making sure that certain DOM IDs are always unique across any pages the shared file is called from, and testing for the existence of those IDs to figure out what event handlers to setup at runtime.

Having the separate files is certainly an extra download and slightly less cacheable (for a few bytes of code), but I think that's outweighed by the additional complexity and code that having a single file would require.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company