Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't generate parallel paths for rels with parallel-restricted

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't generate parallel paths for rels with parallel-restricted
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Yes, absolutely.
>
>> Isn't this true only for UNION ALL cases and not for inheritance child
>> relations (at least that is what seems to be mentioned in comments
>> for translated_vars in AppendRelInfo)?
>
> Correct.
>
>> If that is right, then I think
>> there shouldn't be a problem w.r.t parallel plans even if
>> adjust_appendrel_attrs() translate Vars into non-Vars, because for UNION
>> ALL it seems parent rels rtekind is RTE_SUBQUERY and we consider such rels
>> as parallel unsafe (see set_rel_consider_parallel()).
>
> Hm, that would explain why you haven't been able to exhibit a bug on HEAD
> as it stands; but it doesn't make the code any less broken on its own
> terms, or any less of a risk for future bugs when we try to relax the
> no-subqueries restriction.
>
> I am still of the opinion that reltarget_has_non_vars is simply a bad
> idea.  It's wrong as-committed, it will be a permanent maintenance hazard,
> and there is no evidence that it saves anything meaningful even as the
> code stood yesterday, let alone after cae1c788b.  I think we should just
> remove it and allow those has_parallel_hazard calls to occur
> unconditionally, and will go do that unless I hear some really good
> argument to the contrary.

OK.  We can always revisit it another time if need be.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Online DW
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't generate parallel paths for rels with parallel-restricted