Re: Concurrent CREATE TABLE/DROP SCHEMA leaves inconsistent leftovers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Concurrent CREATE TABLE/DROP SCHEMA leaves inconsistent leftovers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Nikhil Sontakke <nikkhils@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah thanks, that does the object locking. For pre-9.1 versions, we will
> need a similar solution. I encountered the issue on 8.3.x..

I don't think we should back-patch a fix of this type.  There is a lot
of cruftiness of this type scattered throughout the code base, and if
we start back-patching all the fixes for it, we're going to end up
destabilizing older branches for little real benefit.

Also, the fix would need to be quite different in older branches.  For
example, in the master branch, you can probably fix 90% of the issue
by adjusting dropcmds.c, which now handles drop operations for most
object types.  I believe KaiGai Kohei is still working on code which
will allow that code to support drop operations for most of the
remaining object types as well.  But in any previous release you would
need scattered fixes all over the code base.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: a modest improvement to get_object_address()
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Syntax for partitioning