Re: [HACKERS] parallel.c oblivion of worker-startup failures

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] parallel.c oblivion of worker-startup failures
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> What if we don't allow to reuse such slots till the backend/session
> that has registered it performs unregister?  Currently, we don't seem
> to have an API corresponding to Register*BackgroundWorker() which can
> be used to unregister, but maybe we can provide such an API.

Well, then we could have slots pinned down for a long time, if the
backend never gets around to calling unregister.  Furthermore, that's
absolutely not back-patchable, because we can't put a requirement like
that on code running in the back branches.  Also, what if the code
path that would have done the unregister eventually errors out?  We'd
need TRY/CATCH blocks everywhere that registers the worker.  In short,
this seems terrible for multiple reasons.

>> Furthermore, it doesn't help in the case where the worker starts and
>> immediately exits without attaching to the DSM.
>
> Yeah, but can't we detect that case?  After the worker exits, we can
> know its exit status as is passed to CleanupBackgroundWorker, we can
> use that to mark the worker state as  BGWH_ERROR_STOPPED (or something
> like BGWH_IMMEDIATE_STOPPED).
>
> I think above way sounds invasive, but it seems to me that it can be
> used by other users of background workers as well.

The exit status doesn't tell us whether the worker attached to the DSM.

I'm relatively puzzled as to why you're rejecting a relatively
low-impact way of handling a corner case that was missed in the
original design in favor of major architectural changes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: David Rowley
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning
От: David Rowley
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning