Re: relfilenode statistics

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: relfilenode statistics
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 7:11 AM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> The main argument is that we currently don’t have writes counters for relations.
> The reason is that we don’t have the relation OID when writing buffers out.

OK.

> Second argument is that this is also beneficial for the "Split index and
> table statistics into different types of stats" thread (mentioned in the previous
> message). It would allow us to avoid additional branches in some situations (like
> the one mentioned by Andres in the link I provided up-thread).

OK.

> We’d move the current buffer read and buffer hit counters from the relation stats
> to the relfilenode stats (while still being able to retrieve them from the
> pg_statio_all_tables/indexes views: see the example for the new heap_blks_written
> stat added in the patch). Generally speaking, I think that tracking counters at
> a common level (i.e relfilenode level instead of table or index level) is
> beneficial (avoid storing/allocating space for the same counters in multiple
> structs) and sounds more intuitive to me.

Hmm. So if I CLUSTER or VACUUM FULL the relation, the relfilenode
changes. Does that mean I lose all of those stats? Is that a problem?
Or is it good? Or what?

I also thought about the other direction. Suppose I drop the a
relation and create a new one that gets a different relation OID but
the same relfilenode. But I don't think that's a problem: dropping the
relation should forcibly remove the old stats, so there won't be any
conflict in this case.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Justin Pryzby
Сообщение: Re: ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD on partitioned tables
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: DROP OWNED BY fails to clean out pg_init_privs grants