Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 8, 2023 at 10:37 AM Jeremy Schneider
<schneider@ardentperf.com> wrote:
> On 6/7/23 2:39 PM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> > Tomas Vondra schrieb am 07.06.2023 um 21:20:
> >> Also, which other projects did this transition? Is there something we
> >> could learn from them? Were they restricted to much smaller list of
> >> platforms?
> >
> > Not open source, but Oracle was historically multi-threaded on Windows
> > and multi-process on all other platforms.
> > I _think_ starting with 19c you can optionally run it multi-threaded on
> > Linux as well.
> Looks like it actually became publicly available in 12c. AFAICT Oracle
> supports both modes today, with a config parameter to switch between them.

It's old, but this describes the 4 main models and which well known
RDBMSes use them in section 2.3:

https://dsf.berkeley.edu/papers/fntdb07-architecture.pdf

TL;DR DB2 is the winner, it can do process-per-connection,
thread-per-connection, process-pool or thread-pool.

I understand this thread to be about thread-per-connection (= backend,
session, socket) for now.

От: Jeff Davis
Сообщение: Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
От: David Rowley
Сообщение: Remove WindowClause PARTITION BY items belonging to redundant pathkeys