Re: Connecting to NOTIFY with telnet

От Igal Sapir
Тема Re: Connecting to NOTIFY with telnet
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thank you both (Michel replied off-list it seems),

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2019-05-03 11:06:09 -0700, Igal Sapir wrote:
> Is it possible to connect to Postgres for notifications via telnet?  This
> is obviously more for learning/experimenting purposes.

No. The protocol is too complicated to make that realistically doable /
useful.

> I expected a simple way to connect and consume notifications but can not
> find any example or documentation on how to do that.

If you really wanted to go down that road, you'd have to read the
protocol specs. It'd not make sense to document how-to steps for
something as low-level as this.

My main "issue" is that the official pgjdbc driver does not support the notifications with listen and I was trying to figure out why.

I know that the pgjdbc-ng [1] driver does support that feature, but I'm not sure how many people use it etc.  It looks like it's being maintained with a recent release from a couple of months ago so that's good.

I thought that given the fact that it's just a socket connection it might be fairly simple to open a connection and listen.

Best,

Igal

От: Bernard Quatermass
Сообщение: Looking for feedback and contributions
От: Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Сообщение: Re: Connecting to NOTIFY with telnet