Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 7:21 AM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2024, at 3:47 AM, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu) wrote:
>
> > pg_createsubscriber fails on a dbname containing a space.  Use
> > appendConnStrVal() here and for other params in get_sub_conninfo().  See the
> > CVE-2016-5424 commits for more background.  For one way to test this
> > scenario,
> > see generate_db() in the pg_upgrade test suite.
>
> Thanks for pointing out. I made a fix patch. Test code was also modified accordingly.
>

> Patch looks good to me. I have one suggestion
>
> -# Mostly Ported from 002_pg_upgrade.pl, but this returns a generated dbname.
> +# Extracted from 002_pg_upgrade.pl.
>
> and 2 small fixes:
>
> -   'logical replication works on database $db1');
> +   "logical replication works on database $db1");
>
> -is($result, qq(row 1), 'logical replication works on database $db2');
> +is($result, qq(row 1), "logical replication works on database $db2");
>
> > > +static char *
> > > +create_logical_replication_slot(PGconn *conn, struct LogicalRepInfo *dbinfo)
> > > +{
> > > + PQExpBuffer str = createPQExpBuffer();
> > > + PGresult   *res = NULL;
> > > + const char *slot_name = dbinfo->replslotname;
> > > + char    *slot_name_esc;
> > > + char    *lsn = NULL;
> > > +
> > > + Assert(conn != NULL);
> > > +
> > > + pg_log_info("creating the replication slot \"%s\" on database \"%s\"",
> > > + slot_name, dbinfo->dbname);
> > > +
> > > + slot_name_esc = PQescapeLiteral(conn, slot_name, strlen(slot_name));
> > > +
> > > + appendPQExpBuffer(str,
> > > +   "SELECT lsn FROM
> > pg_catalog.pg_create_logical_replication_slot(%s, 'pgoutput', false, false, false)",
> >
> > This is passing twophase=false, but the patch does not mention prepared
> > transactions.  Is the intent to not support workloads containing prepared
> > transactions?  If so, the documentation should say that, and the tool likely
> > should warn on startup if max_prepared_transactions != 0.
>
> IIUC, We decided because it is a default behavior of logical replication. See [1].
> +1 for improving a documentation, but not sure it is helpful for adding output.
> I want to know opinions from others.
>

> Documentation says
>
> When two-phase commit is enabled, prepared transactions are sent to the
> subscriber at the time of PREPARE TRANSACTION, and are processed as two-phase
> transactions on the subscriber too. Otherwise, prepared transactions are sent to
> the subscriber only when committed, and are then processed immediately by the
> subscriber.
>
> Hence, the replication should be working for prepared transactions even if it
> created the slot with twophase = false. IIRC the user won't be able to change it
> later. As Amit said in a previous email, once the command
> ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SET (two_phase = on) is supported, users can change it
> [...]

Yeah, it is a good idea to add a new option for two_phase but that
should be done in the next version. For now, I suggest updating the
docs and probably raising a warning (if max_prepared_transactions !=
0) as suggested by Noah. This WARNING is useful because one could
expect that setting max_prepared_transactions != 0 means apply will
happen at prepare time after the subscriber is created by this tool.
The WARNING will be useful even if we support two_phase option as the
user may have set the non-zero value of max_prepared_transactions but
didn't use two_phase option.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Thomas Munro
Сообщение: Re: CI, macports, darwin version problems
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: CI, macports, darwin version problems