Re: A recent message added to pg_upgade

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: A recent message added to pg_upgade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 8:12 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 07:59:46AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > Do you mean to say that if 'IsBinaryUpgrade' is true then let's not
> > allow to launch launcher or apply worker? If so, I guess this won't be
> > any better than prohibiting at an early stage or explicitly overriding
> > those with internal values and documenting it, at least that way we
> > can be consistent for both variables (max_logical_replication_workers
> > and max_slot_wal_keep_size).
>
> Yes, I mean to paint an extra IsBinaryUpgrade before registering the
> apply worker launcher.  That would be consistent with what we do for
> autovacuum in the postmaster.

But then we don't need the hardcoded value of
max_logical_replication_workers as zero by pg_upgrade. I think doing
IsBinaryUpgrade for slots won't be neat, so we anyway need to keep
using the special value of max_slot_wal_keep_size GUC. Though the
handling for both won't be the same but I guess given the situation,
that seems like a reasonable thing to do. If we follow that then we
can have this special GUC hook only for max_slot_wal_keep_size GUC.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.