Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 12:02 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> I didn't review all items but ...
>
> 1.
> An option --port was added to control the port number for physical standby.
> Users can specify a port number via the option, or an environment variable PGSUBPORT.
> If not specified, a fixed value (50111) would be used.
>
> My first reaction as a new user would be: why do I need to specify a port if my
> --subscriber-conninfo already contains a port? Ugh. I'm wondering if we can do
> it behind the scenes. Try a range of ports.
> >

> My initial motivation of the setting was to avoid establishing connections
> during the pg_subscriber. While considering more, I started to think that
> --subscriber-conninfo may not be needed. pg_upgrade does not requires the
> string: it requries username, and optionally port number (which would be used
> during the upgrade) instead. The advantage of this approach is that we do not
> have to parse the connection string.
> How do you think?

+1. This seems worth considering. I think unless we have a good reason
to have this parameter, we should try to avoid it.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Aleksander Alekseev
Сообщение: Re: reorganize "Shared Memory and LWLocks" section of docs
От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: A failure in t/038_save_logical_slots_shutdown.pl