Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 9:23 AM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:

Did you consider adding options for publication/subscription/slot
names as mentioned in my previous email? As discussed in a few emails
above, it would be quite confusing for users to identify the logical
replication objects once the standby is converted to subscriber.

*
+static void
+cleanup_objects_atexit(void)
{
conn = connect_database(dbinfo[i].pubconninfo, false);
+ if (conn != NULL)
+ {
+ if (dbinfo[i].made_publication)
+ drop_publication(conn, &dbinfo[i]);
+ if (dbinfo[i].made_replslot)
+ drop_replication_slot(conn, &dbinfo[i], dbinfo[i].subname);
+ disconnect_database(conn, false);
+ }
+ else
+ {
+ /*
+ * If a connection could not be established, inform the user
+ * that some objects were left on primary and should be
+ * removed before trying again.
+ */
+ if (dbinfo[i].made_publication)
+ {
+ pg_log_warning("There might be a publication \"%s\" in database
\"%s\" on primary",
+    dbinfo[i].pubname, dbinfo[i].dbname);
+ pg_log_warning_hint("Consider dropping this publication before
trying again.");
+ }

It seems we care only for publications created on the primary. Isn't
it possible that some of the publications have been replicated to
standby by that time, for example, in case failure happens after
creating a few publications? IIUC, we don't care for standby cleanup
after failure because it can't be used for streaming replication
anymore. So, the only choice the user has is to recreate the standby
and start the pg_createsubscriber again. This sounds questionable to
me as to whether users would like this behavior. Does anyone else have
an opinion on this point?

I see the below note in the patch:
+    If <application>pg_createsubscriber</application> fails while processing,
+    then the data directory is likely not in a state that can be recovered. It
+    is true if the target server was promoted. In such a case, creating a new
+    standby server is recommended.

By reading this it is not completely clear whether the standby is not
recoverable in case of any error or only an error after the target
server is promoted. If others agree with this behavior then we should
write the detailed reason for this somewhere in the comments as well
unless it is already explained.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: Re: Memory consumed by child SpecialJoinInfo in partitionwise join planning
От: Alexander Lakhin
Сообщение: Re: Add the ability to limit the amount of memory that can be allocated to backends.