Re: Making aggregate deserialization (and WAL receive) functions slightly faster

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Making aggregate deserialization (and WAL receive) functions slightly faster
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 3:56 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 at 22:42, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The other two look good to me.
>
> Thanks for looking.
>
> I spent some time trying to see if the performance changes much with
> either of these cases. For the XLogWalRcvProcessMsg() I was unable to
> measure any difference even when replaying inserts into a table with a
> single int4 column and no indexes.  I think that change is worthwhile
> regardless as it allows us to get rid of a global variable. I was
> tempted to shorten the name of that variable a bit since it's now
> local, but didn't as it causes a bit more churn.
>
> For the apply_spooled_messages() change, I tried logical decoding but
> quickly saw apply_spooled_messages() isn't the normal case.  I didn't
> quite find a test case that caused the changes to be serialized to a
> file, but I do see that the number of bytes can be large so thought
> that it's worthwhile saving the memcpy for that case.

Yeah, and another reason is that the usage of StringInfo becomes
consistent with LogicalRepApplyLoop(). One can always configure the
lower value of logical_decoding_work_mem or use
debug_logical_replication_streaming for a smaller number of changes to
follow that code path. But I am not sure how much practically it will
help because we are anyway reading file to apply the changes.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Peter Smith
Сообщение: Re: add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?)
От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: Popcount optimization using AVX512