Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 6:12 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 04:20:35PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 3:11 PM Bertrand Drouvot
> > <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I understand it's better to have the slot reflecting its real status internally
> > > but it is a real issue if that's not the case until the activity on it is resumed?
> > > (just asking, not saying we should not)
> > >

> > Sorry, I didn't understand your point. Can you try to explain by example?
>
> Sorry if that was not clear, let me try to rephrase it first: what issue to you
> see if the invalidation of such a slot occurs only when its usage resume or
> when pg_get_replication_slots() is triggered? I understand that this could lead
> to the slot not being invalidated (maybe forever) but is that an issue for an
> inactive slot?

It has the risk of preventing WAL and row removal. I think this is the
primary reason we are at the first place planning to have such a
parameter. So, we should have some way to invalidate it even when the
walsender/backend process doesn't use it again.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Melanie Plageman
Сообщение: Re: Combine Prune and Freeze records emitted by vacuum
От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze