Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression

От Amul Sul
Тема Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 9:09 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
On 13.11.23 14:07, Amul Sul wrote:
>     Also, it seems to me that the SET EXPRESSION variant should just do an
>     update of the catalog table instead of a drop and re-insert.
>
> I am not sure if that is sufficient; we need to get rid of the
> dependencies of
> existing expressions on other columns and/or objects that need to be
> removed.
> The drop and re-insert does that easily.

Ok, good point.

>     The documentation needs some improvements:
>
>     +    ALTER [ COLUMN ] <replaceable
>     class="parameter">column_name</replaceable> SET EXPRESSION <replaceable
>     class="parameter">expression</replaceable> STORED
>
>     If we're going to follow the Db2 syntax, there should be an "AS" after
>     EXPRESSION.  And the implemented syntax requires parentheses, so they
>     should appear in the documentation.
>
>     Also, the keyword STORED shouldn't be there.  (The same command should
>     be applicable to virtual generated columns in the future.)
>
> I have omitted "AS" intentionally, to keep syntax similar to our existing
> ALTERCOLUMN... SET DEFAULT <a_expr>.  Let me know if you want
> me to add that.

Well, my idea was to follow the Db2 syntax.  Otherwise, we are adding
yet another slightly different syntax to the world.  Even if we think
our idea is slightly better, it doesn't seem worth it.

Ok.

Please have a look at the attached version, updating the syntax to have "AS"
after EXPRESSION and other changes suggested previously.

Regards,
Amul

От: Dave Cramer
Сообщение: Re: building with meson on windows with ssl
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Allow tests to pass in OpenSSL FIPS mode