Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose

От James Coleman
Тема Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 4:00 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> On 5/16/24 17:36, Jacob Champion wrote:
> > On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 2:29 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
> >> If no one, including the author (new or otherwise) is interested in
> >> shepherding a particular patch, what chance does it have of ever getting
> >> committed?
> >
> > That's a very different thing from what I think will actually happen, which is
> >
> > - new author posts patch
> > - community member says "use commitfest!"
>
> Here is where we should point them at something that explains the care
> and feeding requirements to successfully grow a patch into a commit.
>
> > - new author registers patch
> > - no one reviews it
> > - patch gets automatically booted
>
> Part of the care and feeding instructions should be a warning regarding
> what happens if you are unsuccessful in the first CF and still want to
> see it through.
>
> > - community member says "register it again!"
> > - new author says ಠ_ಠ
>
> As long as this is not a surprise ending, I don't see the issue.

I've experienced this in another large open-source project that runs
on Github, not mailing lists, and here's how it goes:

1. I open a PR with a small bugfix (test case included).
2. PR is completely ignored by committers (presumably because they all
mostly work on their own projects they're getting paid to do).
3. <3 months goes by>
4. I may get a comment with "please rebase!", or, more frequently, a
bot closes the issue.

That cycle is _infuriating_ as a contributor. As much as I don't like
to hear "we're not doing this", I'd far prefer to have that outcome
then some automated process closing out my submission without my input
when, as far as I can tell, the real problem is not my lack of
activity by the required reviewers simply not looking at it.

So I'm genuinely confused by you say "As long as this is not a
surprise ending, I don't see the issue.". Perhaps we're imagining
something different here reading between the lines?

Regards,
James Coleman

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions
От: James Coleman
Сообщение: Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose