Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) for PostgreSQL?

От Dmitry Igrishin
Тема Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) for PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

пн, 16 июл. 2018 г. в 2:15, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com>:

> On Jul 15, 2018, at 16:06, Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The cross-platform GUI toolkit will be the challenge.
> This is why I've consider GUI for the Windows only. And if I'll not find an adequate GUI
> toolkit (at reasonable price and/or license), there is an option to make the GUI available
> on Windows only and provide the Linux version without a GUI (at least at the first time).

I'm not sure I quite understand an PostgreSQL IDE without a GUI.  Isn't that psql, to a first approximation?
In general, with psql the one can execute arbitrary SQL query either interactively or by calling
it from another program. But there is no advanced refactoring features out of the box. For
example, suppose, the one have a file with the following DDL commands:

  create table foo(id integer, data text, extra_data text);
  create view v1 as select * from foo;

To make this DDL file usabe with psql(1) it must be reentrant - that is
the one need to provide the DROP commands in reverse order:

  drop view v1;
  drop table foo;

  create table foo(id integer, data text, extra_data text);
  create view v1 as select * from foo;

With a large code base it's can be tedious. It's possible to automate such a tasks and don't
worry about the reentrance at all.

I'm also curious how you see this IDE comparing to, say, pgAdmin4.  There's no reason we can't have multiple IDEs, of course, but when I think of an "integrated development environment," I think of something (along the lines of the JetBrains family) that handles the full stack, including debugging.
It is possible to create the full fledged IDE with a convenient debugging features. But to create
such an instrument, we need financial support.

От: Anto Aravinth
Сообщение: Re: Building a notification system.
От: Albrecht Dreß
Сообщение: Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) forPostgreSQL?