Re: Add memory context type to pg_backend_memory_contexts view

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Add memory context type to pg_backend_memory_contexts view
Дата
Re: Add memory context type to pg_backend_memory_contexts view
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 31 May 2024 at 07:21, David Christensen <david+pg@pgguru.net> wrote:
> Giving this a once-through, this seems straightforward and useful.  I
> have a slight preference for keeping "name" the first field in the
> view and moving "type" to the second, but that's minor.

Not having it first make sense, but I don't think putting it between
name and ident is a good idea. I think name and ident belong next to
each other. parent likely should come after those since that also
relates to the name.

How about putting it after "parent"?

> Just confirming that the allocator types are not extensible without a
> recompile, since it's using a specific node tag to switch on, so there
> are no concerns with not properly displaying the output of something
> else.

They're not extensible.

> The "????" text placeholder might be more appropriate as "<unknown>",
> or perhaps stronger, include a WARNING in the logs, since an unknown
> tag at this point would be an indication of some sort of memory
> corruption.

This follows what we do in other places.  If you look at explain.c,
you'll see lots of "???"s.

I think if you're worried about corrupted memory, then garbled output
in pg_get_backend_memory_contexts wouldn't be that high on the list of
concerns.

> Since there are only four possible values, I think there would be
> utility in including them in the docs for this field.

I'm not sure about this. We do try not to expose too much internal
detail in the docs.  I don't know all the reasons for that, but at
least one reason is that it's easy for things to get outdated as code
evolves. I'm also unsure how much value there is in listing 4 possible
values unless we were to document the meaning of each of those values,
and doing that puts us even further down the path of detailing
Postgres internals in the documents. I don't think that's a
maintenance burden that's often worth the trouble.

> I also think it
> would be useful to have some sort of comments at least in mmgr/README
> to indicate that if a new type of allocator is introduced that you
> will also need to add the node to the function for this type, since
> it's not an automatic conversion.

I don't think it's sustainable to do this.  If we have to maintain
documentation that lists everything you must do in order to add some
new node types then I feel it's just going to get outdated as soon as
someone adds something new that needs to be done.  I'm only one
developer, but for me, I'd not even bother looking there if I was
planning to add a new memory context type.

What I would be doing is searching the entire code base for where
special handling is done for the existing types and ensuring I
consider if I need to include a case for the new node type. In this
case, I'd probably choose to search for "T_AllocSetContext", and I'd
quickly land on PutMemoryContextsStatsTupleStore() and update it. This
method doesn't get outdated, provided you do "git pull" occasionally.

> (For that matter, instead of
> switching on node type and outputting a given string, is there a
> generic function that could just give us the string value for node
> type so we don't need to teach anything else about it anyway?)

There isn't.  nodeToString() does take some node types as inputs and
serialise those to something JSON-like, but that includes serialising
each field of the node type too. The memory context types are not
handled by those functions. I think it's fine to copy what's done in
explain.c.  "git grep \"???\" -- *.c | wc -l" gives me 31 occurrences,
so I'm not doing anything new.

I've attached an updated patch which changes the position of the new
column in the view.

Thank you for the review.

David

От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
От: Kaiting Chen
Сообщение: Explicit specification of index ensuring uniqueness of foreign columns