Re: alter table impact on view

От David Rowley
Тема Re: alter table impact on view
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 at 01:14, Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com> wrote:
> But if I alter table to change a column that is a varchar 20 into a varchar 21
> postgres refuse saying that it cannot due to the return rule... using said column
>
> why ?? as the view is not a materialized object, the impact of the length of a column of an underlying table do
changethe description of the view, clearly, but I dont see where the difficulty is "hidden". Can someone enlighten me?

Primarily because nobody has written the required code.

In [1], which is now quite old, there was some discussion about
various aspects of making this better. Perhaps changing the typmod is
easier than changing the type completely, but we still don't have any
code for it. So for now, you're just stuck manually dropping and
recreating your views.

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/603c8f070807291912x37412373q7cd7dc36dd55a8a7@mail.gmail.com

От: Marc Millas
Сообщение: alter table impact on view
От: Ron
Сообщение: Re: How to control pg_catalog results for each users?